Fixed Base Operators
Brief History of the Airport
October 9, 1911
The first aircraft landed at what is now Peoria Stadium.
April 15, 1926
On April 15, 1926 Lt. Charles A. Lindbergh arrives with the first airmail.
Peoria voters twice defeated a proposition to establish and maintain a municipally-owned airport. Airline service was discontinued on April 30, 1931 because the old Peoria Municipal Airport was too small.
May 19, 1932
The citizens of Peoria voted to have an airport. On 195 acres, American Airways (American Airlines), Chicago and Southern Airlines brought in airmail and passenger service on 4 shale-surfaced runways. The land was purchased by 261 Peoria businessmen that formed the Peoria Airport, Inc.
The airport was turned over to Peoria Pleasure Driveway and Park District (Peoria Park District).
The airport terminal building and field was dedicated.
The Metropolitan Airport Authority of Peoria was created, assuming the operation of the Airport from the Peoria Park District. Ozark Air Lines begins to serve Peoria.
The first foreign aircraft (Trans-Canada) arrives without first stopping at a port of entry (customs).
Mt. Hawley Airport opened.
Airline strikes and recessions have caused several airlines to come and go and come back and sometimes go again. Today, we are proud of the airlines that fly in and out of Peoria every day: Allegiant Air, American Eagle, Delta and United Airlines.
PIA has daily non-stop flights to and from:
- Dallas/Ft. Worth
- Las Vegas
- Punta Gorda
- Tampa/St. Petersburg